David owns the most sophisticated Independent Gemological Laboratory in Orange County.
It features the following equipment:
Thermo Scientific Niton DXL Advanced XRF Gold Tester
David now has the Thermo Scientific Niton DXL Advanced XRF Gold Tester, which gives the exact gold content of your jewelry without damaging it. Nearly every gold buyer uses the inexpensive “scratch acid test”, meaning they damage your jewelry by scraping it or filing it down to test it with acid, which gives only a rough approximation of the gold content. The Niton DXL Advanced XRF Gold Tester provides a digital readout of the exact gold content of your jewelry in seconds without even touching it, and you get to see the results for yourself while watching your jewelry the whole time through the window on the device. The Thermo Scientific Niton DXL Advanced XRF Gold Tester is the most accurate gold testing device available.
Leica MZ9.5 Research Stereomicroscope, mounted with the Leica DFC290 Digital Imaging System
Allows for simultaneous direct viewing of the microscope at high resolution through the computer. This microscope is more advanced than 99.9% of the microscopes in use at major Gemological Labs around the country. David can use the capabilities of this microscope to accurately grade gemstones and show his clients significant features about their jewelry and gemstones under high magnification on an LCD HD screen.
GIA iD100 Gem Testing Device with the Pink Diamond Software Upgrade
Lab Grown diamonds or "synthetic" diamonds have become more widely available in the past few years, and consumers risk the possibility of buying synthetic diamonds without their knowledge. Synthetic diamonds are dramatically cheaper than naturally mined diamonds, and the possibility of significant financial loss to a consumer who acquires a Lab Grown or Synthetic diamond in place of a naturally mined diamond is very real today. The iD100 is the best synthetic diamond tester available today, and it can test colorless to near colorless, blue, green, brown, and pink diamonds. This device can test the smallest diamonds used in jewelry all the way up the largest diamonds in a matter of seconds without even touching the stone. Very few gemologists and jewelry buyers have this extremely important piece of equipment.
HRD D-Screen Lab Grown Diamond Tester
Standard thermal conductivity "diamond testers" used by nearly every jewelry appraiser and gemologist do not work on synthetic diamonds. The HRD D-Screen is the one of the few commercially available machines that can detect HPHT/CVD synthetic diamonds and color treated diamonds. Very few gemologists have this extremely important piece of equipment. David has detected several synthetic diamonds that were appraised as "real" by other gemologists.
Sarin DiaScan S15+ with the GIA® Facetware™ Cut Grading License
This Optical Computer does the cut grading and measuring of diamonds to the highest accuracy. In addition, David has the Sarin Professional Edition Software with Photorealistic Computer Viewer, GIA® Recut Software, and Hearts & Arrows Computer Viewer.
Sarin Colibri Computerized Diamond Colorimeter
This machine grades the color of loose and mounted diamonds with computer accuracy to 100th of a single grade. This is the latest generation colorimeter, and David was one of the first Gemologists in the United States to acquire this machine. David now has two of these machines.
GemGuide Appraisal Software for Windows, the most advanced Jewelry Appraisal Software in the industry
Nine Diamond Certified GIA Master Diamond Set
One of the largest sets owned by an Independent Gemologist in the country. Most Gemologists use CZ master sets which are unstable and doesn't show color the same way a "real" diamond master does.
Photo eBox Plus Digital Photography Lighting Studio, mounted with a 10 megapixel Canon PowerShot A640
Additional LED and Halogen spot lamps allow for perfect rendition of colors and gemstone effects.
In addition, David has a fully equipped PortaLab by Gemological Products.
Here is a partial list of the rest of David's Lab Equipment:
- GIA® Gem Instruments Diamond Lite, Daylight Diamond Grading Lighting Cabinet
- GIA® Gem Instruments Shortwave & Longwave Ultraviolet Light & Cabinet
- TriElectronics GXL-24Pro, Digital Gold Karatage & Platinum Tester (6-24KT range)
- Ohaus Explorer E1RR80 Digital Diamond Balance (scale, 0.0000 carats accuracy).
- Ohaus Navigator N1B110 Digital Scale (0.0 grams accuracy)
- A.D. Leverage Presidium Electronic Gemstone Gauge (Serial #0002)
- Mituyoyo Digital Caliper, Digital Measurement Device (0.00mm x 150mm accuracy)
- Presidium Refractive Index Meter II
- Gem® Pro Refractometer with Monochromatic (sodium) replacement filter
- Gem® Pro Polariscope with light source
- Gemcontrol Gemmeter, Digital Refractive Index Meter
- Gem® wizard™ Colored Gemstone Computer Grading System
- GIA® GemSet™, Colored Gemstone Grading System (324 color samples)
- GemDialogue Colored Gemstone Communication System
- GIA® Gem Master Pearl Comparison Set, Pearl Grading System
- Presidium Multitester, Moissanite and Cubic Zirconium Thermal Conductivity Probe
- Kruss Spectroscope with Illuminated Wavelength Guide
- OPL handheld Diffraction Grating Spectroscope
- Calcite Dichroscope
- Hanneman Gem Filters: Ruby, Synthetic Emerald, Synthetic Emerald "Support", Stained Lilac Jade, Aqua, and Tanzanite Filters
- IMI Inspector Alert Radiation Detector
- Mikon 104 Radiation Detector
- GemPro Specific Gravity Set (3.32, 2.90, 2.62, 2.57) with Calibration Stones & Adjustment Liquid
- Branson 1510 Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner with "Sweep Frequency" Technology
- Verilux Daylight Ceiling Fixtures and Florescent Tubes
- Over 500 Book Reference Library including every GIA Gems & Gemology since 1981
- Full subscription to RapNet, the largest searchable database of diamonds in the world. Most Gemologists have only the basic "Rap List" price charts.
David R. Boggess, G.G.
26941 Cabot Road, Suite 115 | Laguna Hills, CA 92653 | (949) 727-3411| By Appointment
Proudly Serving all of Southern California, including Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, Riverside County, and San Bernardino County.